The Department of Women’s Studies is committed to the promotion of girls’ education and women’s empowerment through suitable interventions in policy planning, curriculum transaction and teacher education. The Department plans and implements its activities in accordance with NCERT’s mandate. Further, the Department also advises and helps the Center and the States in executing policies and programmes with special focus on schemes for education of girls. The Department played a critical role in the formulation and implementation of the National Policy on Education 1986 (with modifications undertaken in 1992) and its Programme of Action, on the basis of its research, development, training and extension activities. The Department which was earlier working as a Women’s Studies Unit in 1979 was made a full fledged Department in 1989 to look afresh at the problems and issues of girls’ education and women’s empowerment through theoretical formulations, methods, tools and techniques of women’s studies and the social sciences
- To promote education and development of girls within the framework of the Constitutional provisions, the National Policy on Education (NPE) 1986, the Programme of Action (POA) 1992, CEDAW, and the Rights of the Child (1990).
- To undertake and promote research, development, training and extension activities in the area of girls’ education and women’s empowerment.
- To develop and apply concepts and methods of women’s studies and other social sciences for promotion of girls’ education and women’s empowerment.
- To suitably intervene in the areas of policy planning, curriculum and teacher education for removing gender bias and gender disparities.
- To act as a catalyst in promoting innovations and programmes for girls’ education and development in the country.
- To act as a National Resource Centre on Girls’ Education and Women’s Empowerment.
- To provide consultancy services and assistance to the Center, the States, Voluntary Organizations and International Agencies in the area of girls’ education, capacity building and empowerment.
Development of Textual & Promotional Materials: Development and preparation of textual and promotional material in curricular areas for different stages of school education for undoing gender stereotypes.
- Awareness Generation for Action: Sensitization and orientation of key educational personnel including teacher educators, educational planners and administrators on education for girls and women’s equality.
- Re–designing Curriculum and Educational Programmes: Elimination of gender bias from textbooks, development of guidelines, handbooks and exemplar materials for teachers, curriculum makers, and educational planners for promotion of gender equality and making the curriculum gender inclusive.
- Orientation of Curriculum Makers, Textbook Writers and Educational Planners: Sensitization and orientation programmes for incorporation of identified values that commensurate with equality between sexes, peace and harmony in textbooks and school curriculum.
- Inculcation of Positive Self Image in the Girl Child: School based programmes with media support using interactive processes and working in close liaison with the experts in related areas.
- Promotion of Research and Innovative Action Projects: Preparation of innovative projects and research development abstracts. Dissemination of innovations and action researches in the area of girls’ education and women’s development.
- Inputs into Teacher Education: Formulation of intervention strategies for inputs into teacher education curriculum, training of teacher educators, pre- service and in- service education of teachers.
- Data Bank: To collect, collate, compile and analyze gender statistics on education and allied indicators, at district, state, national and international levels. Preparation of glossaries of terms used in women’s studies and in the area of girls’ education.
- Networking: Work in close collaboration with the constituent units of NCERT, MHRD, Planning Commission, Department of Women and Child Development, NUEPA, Women’s Studies Centers, Women’s Universities, Faculties of Education, National, International and Voluntary Agencies working in the area of girls’ education.
- Mobilization of Women and Community: Mobilizing women and the community at the village level for greater participation in educational planning for improving enrolment, retention and educational achievement of girls.
- Interacting with Media: Development of messages and themes relevant to promotion of girls’ education and positive self-image particularly amongst those from deprived groups.