Department of Education in Science and Mathematics carries
out research, development, training, evaluation and extension
activities in Science, Mathematics and Environmental
Education from the upper primary to the higher secondary
stage. It is involved in the development of supplementary and
complimentary teaching-learning materials in Science,
Mathematics and Environmental Education for upper
primary, secondary and higher secondary stages.
The main functions of the Department of Education in Science and Mathematics
(DESM) are to undertake research, development, training, evaluation and
extension activities related to Science, Mathematics and environmental education
especially for the upper primary, secondary and higher secondary stages.
A significant area of the departments work has been development of syllabi,
textbooks and other instructional materials in Science, Mathematics and
Environmental Education. The Instructional Material Centre (IMC) of the
department undertakes collection and dissemination of information on all aspects
of Science, Mathematics and Environmental Education. The other major extension
activities of the department include organisation of Jawaharlal Nehru National
Science Exhibition, promotion of state level Science Exhibitions, designing and
development of Science and Mathematics laboratories and the science park and
publication of a quarterly journal School Science.
In order to strengthen Science and Mathematics education in the States and
UTs, the department organises orientation programmes for teachers and master
trainers. To facilitate quality of pupil evaluation in schools the department has
also developed exemplar problems in Science and Mathematics. The department
has also been engaged in the development of instructional materials for
popularisation of science, promotion of innovative laboratory practices in Science
and Mathematics and organisation of out of school activities in Science. Every
year, the department organises the Jawaharlal Nehru National Science Exhibition
for Children (JNNSEC), which is the culmination of the series of Science exhibitions
for children, organised at district, zonal and state levels.
Role and Functions of the Department
The Department of Education in Science and Mathematics (DESM) is a think-tank for Science, Mathematics and Environmental Education at the school stage and is responsible for carrying out research, development, training, evaluation and extension activities in these areas. The Department conducts experiments with teaching-learning strategies involving new methods and technologies, and develops instructional material as well as material for training of teachers and teacher-educators in Science and Mathematics for the School Community. The DESM faculty comprises experts in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Environmental Education.
The Department undertakes curriculum development in Science and Mathematics for all school stages starting from the upper primary to the higher secondary stage. The elements of environmental education and other aspects relevant to school education are inter-woven throughout the entire school curriculum.
Another significant area of the Department’s work is dissemination of information in Science, Mathematics and Environmental Education through the Instructional Material Centre of this Department and through the organization of various activities such as Seminars, Science Exhibitions, Science Park and publication of the journal “School Science”.
The Department also assists and advises the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India and extends its cooperation and expertise to other Departments of NIE as well as other constituents of the NCERT in matters related to Science, Mathematics and Environmental Education. It also extends its cooperation and expertise to SCERT’s, State Boards of School Education and other State agencies in conducting their programmes related to curriculum development, teacher preparation and evaluation.
In order to strengthen Science and Mathematics education in schools, other major activities of the DESM include teacher orientation programmes, development and dissemination of popular science materials and innovative laboratory practices besides organization of out-of-school activities in Science and Mathematics. The Department also organizes the Jawaharlal Nehru National Exhibition for Science and Environmental Education for Children, which is an annual event that marks the culmination of a series of science exhibitions, organized at district, zonal and state levels. The DESM also provides academic guidance and financial support for State Level Exhibitions.
In a nutshell, following are the areas in which the department has concentrated its efforts:
1. Development of curriculum and curricular materials in Science and Mathematics on the basis of the collected feedback and contemporary changes in the field of science, mathematics, environmental education and evaluation.
2. Development of support material for Laboratory experiments/classroom demonstrations/students activities.
3. Development of support materials, both print and non-print, for content enrichment and on popular topics/areas/themes.
4. Development of multi-media packages.
5. In-service Training of teachers in Science and Mathematics.
6. Orientation of master trainers on laboratory experiments and activities.
7. Orientation of the faculty of the Colleges of Teacher Education.
8. Development of Curriculum on Pedagogy of Science and Mathematics for B.Ed.Programmes.
9. Development of supplementary material in different themes in science and mathematics for lateral entry
at the upper primary stage as an initiative under the RTE act.
10. Development of Training Packages in Science and Mathematics at the upper primary stage for teachers
without having the substantial background in science and mathematics respectively.
11. Training of curriculum developers, in science, mathematics and environmental education.
12. Providing academic support to Video-Conference (through EDUSAT) and Telecasting Programmes on
Gyan Darshan Channels by the CIET.
13. Promotion of out-of-school activities in science and mathematics and popularization of
science and mathematics.
14. Popularization of Science, Mathematics and Environment concerns through the organization of the State Level Exhibitions for Science and Environment Education for Children (SLESEC) and the Jawaharlal Nehru National Exhibition for Science and Environment Education for Children (JNNESEC), and also through the quarterly journal of science education titled School Science.
15. Undertake researches related to curriculum designs, curriculum transaction, teaching
strategies and their impact.
16. Development of prototype learning kits and their manuals in mathematics for classes I and II.
17. Development of instructional material on Environmental Education (EE) for schools.
18. Development of supplementary material on different themes in science and mathematics for lateral entry
students at the upper primary stage under RTE act.
19. Evaluation of environmental programmes in States/UTs.
20. Development of quality parameters and assessment tools on aspects such as curriculum, pedagogical
processes and CCE in science and mathematics.