In the changing educational context in India the IEC envisages following role and functions for itself..
- The Cell will play a major role in improving the access of CWSN both in rural and urban areas and increase their enrollment sharing in the regular enrollment of children.
- It shall play an advocacy role for increasing the coverage of CWSN under all programmes/schemes/committees like School Education Committees, VECs, Monitoring Committees at the State level and central level etc.
- It shall make efforts for the implementation of Right to Education Act (RTE), 2009 which has come into effect from April, 2010 from the perspective of CWSN for ensuring 8 years of quality education for this group.
- All the programmes under the cell would be aligned with the mandate under the RTE.
- The cell will make significant efforts for facilitating Inclusion of CWSN under the umbrella of universalisation of elementary education and secondary education through major programmes of the Government like the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) and the Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA).
The Specific functions of the Cell would be to
- Undertake researches for reviewing the existing activities in the field of Inclusion of children with special needs in education and suggest initiatives to improve the quality of education for this special group. This is important in the light of more and more CWSN being enrolled in schools both at the elementary and secondary level. The researches undertaken would focus significantly on classroom processes.
- Organize training programmes both face to face and through EDUSAT for teachers, teacher educators and policy makers to sensitize and train them in strategies for providing quality education and equal educational opportunities to CWSN. The training programmes will also involve the SCERTs, SIEs, CTEs and DIETs and functionaries from the SSA and the RMSA..
- Promote and support the development of Inclusive curriculum at the National and State levels, providing inputs for the development of Inclusive textbooks, appropriate pedagogy and suggesting reforms in the examination procedures especially the Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE).
- Develop teaching learning materials like teachers' guides, manuals etc. and also provide resource support to the Centre, States, NGOs and international and national level agencies for inclusion of CWSN in education and for the realization of their basic fundamental right to education.
- Network and draw linkages between various Departments, organizations and people involved in the education of CWSN and also provide resource support for activities under the SSA's & RMSA's for CWSN.
- Take up initiatives in creating awareness about the RTE amongst various stakeholders from the perspective of CWSN.
- Identify the special educational needs of children who belong to socially disadvantaged sections of the society.