- Preparation of Teaching Learning Materials including textbooks,teachers’ handbooks, supplementary materials including monographs, anthology, audio-visual materials, multi-media programs etc. for all stages of school in visual arts, theatre, music and dance.
- Periodical review of the curriculum and syllabus and its development.
- Integration of arts education, culture education and heritage crafts across the entire curriculum of school.
- Designing courses of study for pre-service arts education teachers’ training at RIEs and for In-service teachers at National & State boards of Education, SCERT and DIETs.
- Capacity building of the states in the areas of arts education in developing curriculum, syllabus, textbooks, supplementary materials, teacher training modules etc.
- In-service training/ orientation programs for art education teachers for different stages.
- Evolving the pre-service teachers’ training courses.
- Developing and testing modules for teacher educators.
Conduct research studies in areas of arts education in schools at different stages and states- the teaching learning and evaluation process, case studies of innovative and best practices in different schools etc.
Monitoring and Evaluation
Many issues and concerns have been raised periodically and initiatives undertaken, which require monitoring, guidance and evaluation for their effective implementation. From time to time, NCERT may take up activities to study, monitor and evaluate their functioning in different states.
- The department would need to develop a strong network of various national, international, regional, local- government or non-government and UN agencies who are working in the areas of arts and culture, specially for children and school education, teacher training etc.
- As and when the states require expertise in this field, the department should be capacitated to provide the same.